As the Manning Bridge no longer exists, we hiked up the old turnpike at Williams Crossing. The road was still passable, although rough and eroded in spots. Just before we reached the Shetucket, we turned east onto the remnants of another old, 19th-century dirt road that roughly paralleled the river. One of our sources told us to follow this road, cross Cold Brook (which had washed out a former short bridge -- fortunately we found a spot where we could leap the brook), and turn left at the next intersection. There was plenty of evidence that this area, now grown up with trees, had once been inhabited, open farmland. The several roads, the many stone walls, and the 1934 aerial photo all told the story. (A 1950s aerial showed the area all grown over with timber.) The cemetery was on the east side of this new road, only a few hundred yards from the intersection and a few hundred yards from the river, at the foot of a steep, wooded hill. An 1865 map of Franklin showed that the farm of J. Downer had been nearby (both the house and the cemetery were in Windham, just over the border from Franklin), but we could not find a cellar hole.